In the third episode of Kashmir Khaana Kahani presents Khandani Kitchen, we got Momal Sheikh to teach Mahira Khan her father, Javed Sheikh’s ‘khandani’ chicken-fried noodles recipe, which also calls for a side of fish crackers. Watch the full video to witness all the fun they had and scroll down for the full recipe.
Sheikh-style Chicken Fried Noodles with Fish Crackers
1. Kashmir cooking oil
2. 1/2 kg chicken breast
3. 1/2 packet spaghetti
4. 1/2 ginger, finely chopped
5. 1/2 garlic, finely chopped
6. 1 onion, finely chopped
7. 1 cup broccoli
8. 1 cup carrots
9. 1 cup green beans
10. 1 cup baby corn
11. 1 cup cauliflower
12. 1 cup mushrooms
13. Salt, to taste
14. Red chili powder, to taste
15. 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
16. 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder
17. 1/4 teaspoon coriander powder (dhaniya powder)
18. 4 slices of cheddar cheese
20. Chaat masala, to taste
1. Pour some oil into a medium-sized saucepan. Let the oil warm up and then add finely chopped ginger, garlic and onions. Start to stir.
2. Fill a separate pan with water and let it boil. Wait for one boil before adding in the noodles.
3. Once the onion, ginger, garlic has become slightly brown, add the chicken into the saucepan and start to stir.
4. After the water has boiled, put in the noodles but make sure you break them in half beforehand. Then add some salt to taste and some oil. Mix and leave to boil.
5. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric, 1/4 teaspoon coriander powder and 1/4 teaspoon garam masala powder to the saucepan with the chicken. Stir well.
6. After stirring, spread the chicken and spices out on the saucepan evenly and let it cook for another 30-40 seconds.
7. Add broccoli, carrots, baby corn, cauliflower, green beans. Add some more oil if needed, so that the vegetables cook well. Lastly, add mushrooms, cover the saucepan and let it cook.
8. Once the noodles have cooked, strain them and pour cold water on top. Now set them aside in a separate bowl.
9. In a separate saucepan, pour some more oil. This will be for deep frying, so make sure you pour accordingly. Wait for the oil to heat.
10. After the chicken and vegetables in the saucepan have cooked, break the slices of cheddar cheese into smaller pieces and place them on top of the vegetables. Stir well.
11. After the cheese has melted, add the noodles into the saucepan. Mix it well.
12. In the heated pan containing oil, throw in some fish crackers and let them fry. Dry off any excess oil and set them out on a plate. Next, sprinkle some chaat masala on top.
13. Place the chicken fried noodles in a serving dish. Make sure to eat them with the fish crackers!